Sunday, October 13, 2013

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker

More excellent backyard birding today. As with the past few rainy days, the wee birds (chicks, wrens, warblers, kinglets) were abundant, but this time I noticed a few new arrivals to our little plot of condo-tree heaven: a blue-headed vireo and a yellow-bellied sapsucker!

Both are life birds for me, though I'm fairly confident I saw both yesterday along the Reston pathway to Lake Anne (which, by the way, is not listed on eBird but has produced some truly lovely birdwalks over the past few months). In any case, I wasn't completely certain about the IDs yesterday, but this morning's clearer and closer views gave me all the proof I needed. I was even fortunate enough to have the camera ready for some pics of the yellow-bellied sapsucker. It was a textbook male, and he was magnificent.


No comments:

Post a Comment