Monday, October 14, 2013

Bles Park and Lake Thoreau

Had a lovely morning at Bles Park with the Loudon County birders. The warblers were at a minimum, sure, but the company was pleasant and knowledgeable, and the weather showed signs of finally cooperating again. In fact, after the walk, I stuck around for another hour or so, reaping many benefits from the sun breaking through the early-morning grayness.

The raptors really became active, as did the sparrows. I was able to pick up a couple of life birds--a Northern Harrier and a Swamp Sparrow--and I had good looks at a Blue-headed Vireo (bad photo reluctantly included), a Common Raven calling out while flying overhead, a Savannah Sparrow, and a Grasshopper Sparrow. Saw a few more Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers, too, but it was most thrilling to watch and listen to one (pic below) calling out for upwards of 5 minutes!

I also wanted to make a note that I've gotten the folks at eBird to change the listing of Lake Audubon to Lake Thoreau. If any folks are in the Reston area and bird that area, please let me know. I'd like to populate the database for the new listing as soon as possible. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment