Friday, November 15, 2013

Surf Scoter at Riverbend Park


Thanks to a tip from Donald Sweig, I paid a visit to Riverbend Park this morning in hopes of finding a Surf Scoter. Within 5 minutes of my arrival, I found the Scoter after scanning a large group of Buffleheads. (The Scoter is in the foreground of the above picture.) I was lucky to have prolonged views, too, including moments of preening, moments in flight, and moments of direct interaction with the Buffleheads.

Among the other spectacles at Riverbend this morning: (Mute?) Swan, Lincoln's Sparrow, Winter Wren, two Belted Kingfishers, a vocalizing pair of Bald Eagles, and over 50 White-throated Sparrows.






After Riverbend, I stopped by Lake Fairfax to spend some time on the water. Among the many Canada Geese, the Bar-headed Goose was easily visible, as was a lone Snow Goose. Saw a couple of Hooded Mergansers take flight and then spend time near each other just cruising the lake. Also lucked into two Killdeer patrolling the shore near the bridge.



As I made my way up to the soccer fields, I found a Hermit Thrush, Eastern Towhees, White-throated and White-crowned Sparrows (as well as Song, Field, Swamp and Chipping), Dark-eyed Juncos, Golden-crowned Kinglets, and Carolina Wrens galore. 


No comments:

Post a Comment