Sunday, November 10, 2013

Barred Owl (finally!) @ Great Falls

After waiting all summer and autumn, I finally saw the Barred Owl all the Great Falls gang told me I'd see if I just kept checking. With one part good luck from having the wife in attendance, and one part good luck from having such a great group of birders to spend time with, and one part good luck from having Ralph hustle up the trail to get my attention--it finally happened. And, man, really, it was worth the wait.

By the time I sprinted the 200 yards up the trail, all the while panicked that the owl would take off before I could get to him, I was overwhelmed by adrenaline and anxiety. And for the first 4 or 5 photos, I couldn't keep my trembling hands still enough to get a decent shot. (As it was, the shots I managed to get aren't great, but they'll do the job.) But as was our good fortune, the owl was in no hurry to part ways. He simply acknowledged us, closed his eyes, and continued basking in the sun.


No comments:

Post a Comment