Thursday, January 2, 2014

200th bird! sedge wren @ occoquan

Today, I made quick stops at Riverbend, Occoquan Bay NWR, Mason Neck State Park, and Pohick Bay, with my primary objective to find the Sedge Wren at Occoquan. Well... success! Thanks to the many tips from our birding community and this morning's presence of Jim Goehring, I was able to get really good views of the Sedge Wren within 10 minutes of my arrival. To say the least, the bird did not disappoint. No matter how much you study the bird in books, nothing can prepare you for just how diminutive it really is. Awesome little bird, indeed. (I'm also including a couple of photos to illustrate just how splendidly the Sedge Wren uses camouflage.)



Most notable during my other stops were the numerous Bald Eagles and Great Blue Herons (nearly side-by-side!), as well as over 200 American Coots at Pohick; a handful of Wigeon at Mason Neck; and two Winter Wrens and a Merlin hunting at Riverbend. Gotta love winter vacation!

(Here's a bonus photo of an American Crow eyeing a juvenile Bald Eagle and his breakfast.)

No comments:

Post a Comment