Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Sandy Point and Riverbend


Spent the day with some water birds, visiting both Maryland and Virginia sites. Started at Sandy Point, where the birding was very good and the weather was good enough. Had some really lovely views of a male and female Common Goldeneye, as well as a Red-breasted Merganser. Bald Eagles were on the hunt, too, which really got the ducks in a frenzy.

The afternoon brought me back to Riverbend, which is easily one of favorite places to bird lately. The diversity of species today was the best I've seen at Riverbend, and I managed to spot a Northern Shoveler, Canvasbacks, a Redhead, numerous Common and Hooded Mergansers, a Wigeon, a Mute Swan, and the highlight of the day... a male Wood Duck!

(Please forgive the poor quality of the photos, as the distance was much too great for my little camera to overcome. Just wanted to be sure I documented the Wood Duck more than anything.)

No comments:

Post a Comment