Sunday, December 29, 2013

new england revisited

spent a few more days in Connecticut and Massachusetts for xmas break, and although the birds weren't particularly plentiful, I did manage to add 10 new life birds to the list.

I've been meaning to pay a visit to Quabbin Reservoir for a few months now because it's by far the hottest birding spot in central Mass. unfortunately, the birds simply weren't around on this day snowy day. I did luck out, though, when I spotted a large group of Snow Buntings. I'd never seen these birds before, but I knew instantly that they were something special once I saw their beautiful white wing patches in flight.



a couple of days later, I made my way to Hammonasset in hopes of rare coastal birds (and maybe another Short-eared Owl!). there weren't any owls visible, but I did manage to see a few lovely birds. among others life birds, I saw Lapland Longspurs, Horned Larks, Ruddy Turnstones, and Black-bellied Plovers. I was also entertained by Northern Harriers hunting over the fields, as well as an enormous flock (150ish!) of Yellow-rumped Warblers.


and a seal!


No comments:

Post a Comment